Thursday, January 28, 2010

Habari Februari, Kwaheri Januari!

Okay, time's going really fast. Maybe it's because I'm having a good time??? I moved in with a new host family, and the place is huge! I've got my own room, and they are really healthy eaters (i'm trying to lower my cholesterol). I eat tons of fish, sukumawiki (greens) and ugali (i can't explain what that is so if you've never heard of it, google it).

Ashley came to visit and I got to show him a bit of what I do. we visited mathare slums, amboseli game park, maasailand, and Mount Kilimanjaro. check out the pics at http://picasaweb.google.com/AshleySmithJr/20100122AshKenya2?feat=email# and http://picasaweb.google.com/AshleySmithJr/20100118Africa1?feat=email# .

Things I've learned this month:
- camel meat is delicious. I urge you to visit a Somali restaurant and give it a try someday (waaaay better than beef in my opinion).
- the maasai can walk! (never believe a maasai who tells you the market is near... around the corner is a million miles away...) Ashley and I had to walk 2 and 1/2 hours to the nearest market!
- God's creation is so much better viewed outside of the confines of a zoo. Even photos and nature programs on tv don't do the real thing justice. We saw elephants crossing the road, and giraffes drinking water, and cheetahs hunting gazelles, and a lioness with her cubs, and hippos outside of the water and... and... and... yeah, words fail too.
- Appreciate the now... I work with a group of girls in Mathare. A girl's mother died suddenly last week. I had just met her the saturday before. Life is short, and when it ends, it is always a surprise. Please pray for the family as they bury their loved one.

Soo....February looks like a month of meetings and hopefully a visit to Uganda... i'll keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment