Sunday, March 21, 2010

Kampala Craze

Uganda was a trip into my history. I know they say most Africans caught up in the slave trade originated from West Africa… but when I ate mashed plantains served with fish stew, I was more than sure that some of my Garifuna ancestors had descended from the eastern regions of this beautiful continent. No one can tell me otherwise…I have seen with my own eyes and tasted with my own lips.
Now let me tell you more about this amazing trip… the bus ride was 12 hours… I ended up paying more money than expected at the border… I rode a motorcycle (piki piki) throughout the many hills of Kampala… I visited the largest mosque in Africa… I experienced the tombs of the Buganda kings in the largest straw hut in the world… I spent time at Vision
for Africa, a school and orphanage where amazing things are happening… and of course I ate some of the greatest food in the world…. Mmmmmmmmm!!!
Before I leave Kenya in July, I most definitely want to visit neighboring Tanzania and Ethiopia (Addis Ababa, here I come!)

On another note… right now I am in the process of transitioning in my work schedule… I will decrease my teaching time and work in organizing the center’s library. I LOVE books, and reading, so, seeing the library being used would give me a great sense of accomplishment.
I’ve joined an aerobics class and I’ve started some light weightlifting too. It’s really going good and I feel way more energetic. For those of you who aren’t exercising and eating a healthy diet, I encourage you to start. The first week sucks but afterwards you feel great! I’d like to also lead a few workshops in nutrition and healthy cooking for the students here.

So the other day I spent about an hour on the phone with a friend who’s working on her master’s thesis. She’s fretting, and I’m thinking… that’s exactly where I was one year ago too… thinking my master’s would send me to an early grave. Yet who would’ve known that one year later I’d be chilling in Kenya, blogging about which country I wanna visit next??? Surely not me. So I’m gonna take a moment to just reflect on how good God has been. (If you don’t mind). I’m 25, educated, travelling the world, multilingual (yes, my Swahili is getting better), American without trying, healthy and beautiful (and eating really good food). That’s a lot to be grateful for, and I’m glad Kenya is giving me the opportunity to think about all of the good in my life. When you have a chance, you should try it too. (thinking about the positive things in your life.) Alrighty, off I go. Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment