Friday, May 28, 2010

Measuring Time

Its been a long time. Much has happened, good and bad. But like Celie says in ‘The Color Purple”… “I’m here!” As time flies by and the hour of my return approaches, all I can do is appreciate the beauty of the now. So yes, thank you God... I’m still here.


I was watching the movie/musical ‘Rent’ the other day, and it got me to thinking…

Five hundred, twenty five thousand, six hundred minutes…
How do I measure this year in my life?
Five hundred, twenty five thousand, six hundred minutes…
How do I measure the time?
In sunsets? Sunrises?
In good and bad surprises.
In hairdos? In muddy shoes?
Ir hours of sitting in traffic.
In violence? In courage?
In cups of chai and porridge.
In laughters? In teardrops?
In trash and slum house rooftops.
In street kids? In lollipops?
In drunken men with dreadlocks.
In in wishes? Hugs and kisses?
In tasty Kenyan dishes.
In handclaps? Church services?
Blessings and illness curses.
In rainstorms? In dry heat?
Hand washing all my laundry.
Guitar strokes? In deep breaths?
In acne caused by high stress
In weddings? In funerals?
In bodies going for burials.
In house helps? Host families?
Street vendors selling batteries.
Mosquito bites? In bus rides?
In potholes and police bribes.
In footsteps? Knees swollen?
Eyes staring, laptops stolen.
‘How are you?’ ‘Mzungu?'
In petty conversations
In gossip? In chit chat?
Much needed consolations…
Maybe I can measure it in love?
Love?
Love?
Love.
Maybe I can measure time in love.



and now....
drumroll please...
some pics for your viewing enjoyment!





No comments:

Post a Comment