Saturday, June 26, 2010

Braid Brigade

It has been done! I got my hair braided last week and I like it. The pain was unbeweavable but hey, beauty hurts.


I also visited Rwanda last week. One of my students was kind enough to show me around (it's where she's from). The bus ride was around 24 hrs with all the rest stops, breakdowns, speeding, and border checks. But the country's beauty is so worth the trip. I wanted to do some gorilla trekking and was greatly dissapointed when it didn't work out, but I got to see Lake Kivu in all of its magnificent splendor...



I still wonder if the peace I felt in Rwanda was genuine though (knowing the history of the genocide and all...). I got to visit Hotel Des Mille Collines ("Hotel Rwanda") and a few of the memorials. I encourage anyone who is able to (and emotionally strong enough) to visit these sites and be challenged, shaken, angered, humbled and transformed by what there is to see. The many stories of lives ended before their time will continue to shatter my heart and mind forever.








Finally, I am preparing to return to New York next month. This is one of the hardest things I think I'll ever have to do. I'm focusing on appreciating now and taking it all in... One of the things I look forward to every week is leading the Peace Club at Mennokids Academy and continuing my work at Inspiration Centre. Wow. I'm really going to miss this place.




1 comment:

  1. I have read it your post nice with perfect knowledge and bookmarked it on with my friends who may like it


    final exam


    http://getfinalexam.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete